What is Androstenedione?
Most of our bodies Androstenedione comes from the outer areas of the adrenal gland, sometimes referred to as ‘the cortex’. We need Androstenedione to produce two other vital hormones, testosterone and estrone, which is the primary form of estrogen. In men it’s also produced by the testes. In females it is a little different, with the ovaries also releasing androstenedione into the bloodstream. From there it’s quickly converted to provide approximately 50% of the body’s total testosterone and nearly all of the body’s estrone. Precursor hormone androstenedione is known to be responsible for most of the adrenal hormones present in postmenopausal women.
Androstenedione is sometimes prescribed in oral form due to its testosterone elevating action.
Why test Androstenedione?
We wish to see levels within normal ranges for age and gender. As this hormone is a precursor hormone, “normal” levels will indicate subsequent consistent androgens hormone production e.g. testosterone, is taking place.
What Will the Results reveal?
An elevated level of androstenedione indicates increased adrenal, ovarian or testicular production. Small fluctuations in concentration are usually normal. An increased level may indicate an adrenal tumor, adrenal cancer, adrenal hyperplasia, or congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). An increased level is not diagnostic of a specific condition; it usually indicates the need for further testing to pinpoint a cause.
Low androstenedione in turn affects dependent androgen hormone productivity as this is a major precursor hormone. It is also associated with adrenal gland dysfunction, adrenal insufficiency, and ovarian or testicular failure.
- Purchase test, have it delivered to your doorstep. Tracking number available on request. Now sent via Express Post 7 days a week.
- Perform simple saliva sample collection and complete the included referral form.
- Post your sample and referral form back to the lab’ using the Express Post satchel. Tracking included.
- Receive your hormone test results by secure .PDF to your designated email address.
Interesting facts about Androstenedione:
- Physical exercise has been found to be associated with changes in androgen levels.
- Androstenedione is a hormone and it is used to make medicine.
- Androstenedione gained notoriety as the supplement used by the baseball home run hitter Mark McGwire and other professional sports players. Subsequent changes to the law resulted in a reclassification of androstenedione from a dietary supplement to an restricted medicine circa 2005.
Source including: Hackney AC, Premo MC, McMurray RG (1995). “Influence of aerobic versus anaerobic exercise on the relationship between reproductive hormones in men”. Journal of Sports Sciences. / Youandyourhormones/Society For Endocrinology 2017